Original Maryborough Town Site

Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

Pioneer graves help to create a sense of history when visiting the Original Maryborough site, known as the Wide Bay Village, it was first settled by Aldridge and the Palmer Brothers in 1848, although George Furber had set up a store and wharf on the opposite bank a year earlier. It was largely abandoned by the mid 1850s in favour of the deeper port downstream, the city’s current location. The town was renamed Maryborough in January 1849 after the death of the Governor’s wife, Lady Mary Fitzroy.

Located on the banks of the Mary River, about four kilometres from the city centre, the 30 hectare site has interpretive signage, walkways and trails along the creek frontage, pioneer graves, picnic tables, barbecue facilities and toilets.


Barbeque Carpark Picnic Area Public Toilet




Free Entry

Nearby Things to Do

View All
fairy fountain

Band Rotunda and Fairy Fountain

Maryborough, Fraser Coast

Gatakers Artspace - Gallery 3

Gatakers Artspace & Creative Space

Maryborough, Fraser Coast

Mary River Parklands

Mary River Parklands

Maryborough, Fraser Coast

Maryborough, Fraser Coast.

J E Brown Warehouse

Maryborough, Fraser Coast

photo of signboard for disc golf at Pioneer Country park Maryborough

Pioneer Country Park

Tinana, Fraser Coast

photo of the sign for Fay Smith Wetlands at the main entry point

Fay Smith Wetlands

Maryborough, Fraser Coast

Contact Us