Dead Mans Pass

Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

The origin of the name ‘Dead Man’s Pass’ (also known early in the history of South Australia as Para Pass and perhaps Murray Pass) has long been the subject of debate. In early colonial times, a ‘pass’ was a ford across a watercourse for bullock teams and horse transport. Colonel William Light is known to have visited the area as early as December 1837 and he used the campsite at Para Pass while exploring the Barossa region, and in his quest to find a passage through the Mount Lofty Ranges to the River Murray. A large red gum is believed to be the tree in which the ‘dead man’ was interred or found. There are four accounts of the finding of the dead man any one of which could be true. The place of the burial to this day retains the name of Dead Man’s Pass.

Facilities

Carpark Family Friendly Picnic Area Public Toilet

Disabled Assistance

Wheelchair access

Accreditation

Visitor Information Centre National Accreditation

Nearby Things to Do

View All
wine tours

Touring Adelaide South Australia – Barossa Valley

Cockatoo Valley, Barossa

Shared Path in Dead Mans Pass

Dead Mans Pass

Gawler South, Gawler

Sandy Creek Golf Club Barossa Valley

Sandy Creek Golf Club

Sandy Creek, Barossa

Gawler Historic Main Street Walking Tour

Gawler Historic Main Street Walking Tour

Gawler East, Gawler

walking trails

Barossa Goldfield Trail

Cockatoo Valley, Barossa

action shot

Clonlea Park Skate Park

Gawler

Contact Us