Between 1942 and 1962 Nungarin was a depot for Australian army personnel, supplies and machinery.
The Nungarin Heritage Machinery and Army Museum is situated in the original Army Vehicle Workshop which was constructed between 1942-1943 as part of Australia’s defence in WWII.
During the war there was a limited supply of tractors. After the war, most of the facilities and buildings were sold, with the Nungarin Shire purchasing the Army Vehicle Workshop for use as a Shire Depot. Tanks like the 1942 Stuart Tank, were sold and used for clearing farms.
The museum holds an impressive collection of army tanks, trucks, vehicles and farm machinery. Look out for the “Mad Max of vehicles” – the 1942 Dingo Scout Car.
There is also a display of army uniforms, badges, small armoury, electronics and photographs. and the impressive 10th Light Horse Collection dedicated to Trooper Joseph William Spillman (a veteran of the Gallipoli and Palestine campaigns, and one of only 15 light horse men to have been awarded the Military Medal).
Don’t forget to visit Marie “Aunty Jim” Farrell’s shop. The contents of her shop were donated to the Museum when she retired in 2000. It includes a kitchen and dining area, and of course the kitchen sink!
FREE – Child under 10 years
AUD5 – Child 10-17 years
AUD10 – Adult