This precinct is highly valued by the community for a range of social, historic and architectural reasons. It consists of the Christ Church Cathedral (completed in 1977), the adjacent Cyclone Tracy ruins of the original Christ Church (1902) , and the associated memorial gate (1944) facing Smith Street.
The church was constructed in 1902, consecrated by the Bishop of Carpentaria and named Christ Church on 2 November of that year. A vestry and rectory were added in 1917.
In 1942, it was used as the Garrison Church for the Armed Services and escaped significant damage during bombing raids of 1942-43 but was looted and vandalised. The portico and memorial gate, constructed by the RAN, were added in 1944 using stone from the bombed post office. The Navy returned the church to the diocese in 1946.
In 1968, the church became a cathedral.
Cyclone Tracy destroyed all but front wall and portico, and these were incorporated into the new cathedral, constructed in 1976. The new Christ Church Cathedral was consecrated on 13 March 1977, the Archbishop of Canterbury in attendance.
The new cathedral has been recognised for its architectural excellence and is a venue for important community events.