Qantas Guinea Airways Hangar

Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

The hangar is a pre-fabricated building developed by the Sidney-Williams Company and erected in Darwin in 1934 for Qantas Empire Airways Ltd in time for the Centenary Air race. It was used by the first Australia-England air service operated by Qantas and Empire Airways and later by the first Adelaide–Darwin air service operated by Qantas and Guinea Airways. By 1946 the Ross Smith airstrip ceased to be operational and the hangar was used as a mechanical workshop and later a store.

Facilities

Carpark Caters for hearing impairment Caters for high support needs Caters for limited mobility Caters for vision impairment Picnic Area Walk Walks Wheelchair access

Nearby Things to Do

View All
NCCA gallery entrance and frontage, Vimy Lane, Parap.

NCCA Northern Centre for Contemporary Art

Parap, Darwin

tactile arts, gallery, NT, darwin gallery

Tactile Arts Gallery and Office

Fannie Bay, Darwin

Old Admiralty House with Umbrellas

Old Admiralty House

Darwin

This photo shows Kuru, our signature vesselsailing in Vietnam prior to sailing to Darwin

City of Darwin Cruises

Darwin

Burnett House at Myilly Point Heritage Precinct.

Myilly Point Heritage Precinct

Darwin

cross hatch artwork

Mason Gallery

Darwin

Contact Us