Narryna is a fine 1830s merchant’s town house that evokes the business and maritime histories of Salamanca Place and Battery Point. The house was built by Captain Andrew Haig in 1837-40 on land he purchased in 1824 during a trading voyage between Calcutta, Canton and Valparaiso. Haig built warehouses facing Salamanca Place in 1834 and set up as a merchant and shipbuilder while also operating goods and passenger services to mainland ports. He was forced to sell up in 1842, during Australia’s first economic depression .
Narryna was later home to businessmen and women, lawyers, politicians and bankers. In 1957 a group of Hobart and Battery Point residents opened Narryna as a museum with a rich collection of Tasmanian fine, decorative arts and costume.
Ask about our group booking rate and joint ticket with Markree House and Garden, located 200 metres from Narryna and offering insights into Hobart life of the 1920s.
Australian Tourism Accreditation Conference/Convention Facilities Disabled access available Family Friendly History & Heritage Museums Australia Museums Australia Picnic Area Public Toilet Visitor Information Centre
Adults $10, Concession $8. Group booking rate available. Joint Ticket to Narryna and nearby Markree Museum Adults $16, Concession $14.